Institutional History
Kanjirappally Panchayat
Institutional History and Geography - An Overview
Institutional History
As per the Panchayat Act, Kanjirappally Panchayat was formed in 1958. Prior to that, since 1942, only a Village Union existed here. A fully-equipped office building of its own came into existence in 1964. The first Panchayat President was Mr. K.T. Thomas B.A. B.L.
Major Welfare Activities Conducted by the Panchayat:
New tarred roads, small bridges, waiting sheds, irrigation projects, bathing ghats, Anganwadis (land and buildings), public markets, renovation of Govt. LP Schools, renovation of PHC, development of veterinary hospital, electricity line extensions, etc.
Geography: Soil, Water, Crops
Among the three geographical divisions of Kerala—Highland, Midland, and Lowland—Kanjirappally Panchayat belongs to the first category (Highland). This Panchayat spreads over an area of 5316.6 hectares at the southern tip of Kottayam district.
Southern Boundary: The Manimala River flows from east to west.
Wards through which Chittar River flows: Flows from north to south through wards 5, 6, 7, 8, 11, and 21.
Neighboring Panchayats: Parathode, Erumely, Manimala, Chirakkadavu, Elikulam, Thidanad.
The entire area currently consists of residential lands (purayidam). Of the total area of the panchayat, 45% consists of hills, slopes, and rocky areas. The remaining 55% is fertile soil. Although most of the region is sloping, it is fertile and highly suitable for rubber cultivation. The majority of the farmers belong to the middle class.